Businesses anywhere in the world are able to create a powerful brand and rapidly project it to a global audience. This is all the more apparent when one considers that the major social media websites are indexed by the major search engines and thus appear among the first search results when the relevant keyword is searched for. What does this mean for the way that you do business and how do social media help you build your brand? A solid social media marketing strategy is where one must begin and the following are five techniques that you can use social networking to build your business and brand.
• Community building is perhaps the number one way to build a brand through social networking websites. Sites like Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn can be used to help connect you to other people who operate within your niche. These connections are then leveraged for not only networking, mentoring, and mind mapping, but also for referrals, and recommendations. Your brand is built through a constant interaction with the people in your industry and those already using your service.
• For community building to be effective, it must be supported by building an informative profile. When someone goes to your Twitter, or LinkedIn profile they will only stay for a few seconds before they move on. They want to know what you are about, what you do, and how you will help them. Place this information at the foremost part of your profile as possible and make it as concise, clear and yet exciting as you can. Also (where possible) use colors that match your brand and incorporate your business logo on each social media site you use as long as it allows you to.
• Excellent customer service and speedy complaint resolution is something you must actively aim to achieve through any social media you use as it plays an important part in your overall brand position. Many of the world’s largest companies including those that would be considered to be in traditional sectors such as banking, are using social media as a platform to address generic client issues or communicate client-important information. So even if you are a small business owner, you can do the same thing.
• Another way to use social media is participating in industry specific forums online. This is one of the best places to sell your business both directly and subtly. As you become more visible in your conversations, interactions, and by providing solutions, people will start to talk about you, link to your blog, and recommend you to people interested in the products you have on offer.
• Finally, combine all your social networking profiles so they are linked together to lead to even more online visibility.
Branding yourself online seems like it would be a monumental task. However, when done in gradual and well laid out steps like the ones outlined above, you can build a strong brand that continues to grow and benefit your business over the long term.